I’ve been thinking these last few days about Marion Grace Jones, ever since Mary mentioned that she was her cousin and daughter of Mary’s “Uncle Melbourne”. This seemed to fit as I had found James Melbour Jones as being a brother of Mary’s father William Scourfield Jones. Surely these would be enough clues to put the jigsaw for this part of the family together and to put Marion Jones with the right part of the family in the photograph album.
Let’s see what records we can find, knowing that Marian Grace Jones was born on the 6th June 1928. Firstly, her death record:
– Marian Grace Jones died July/Aug/Sept 2004, Merton, Surrey
There are just a few possible birth entries for Marion:
– Marion Jones born April/May/June 1928, Pontypridd, Wales (mother Rogers)
– Marian Jones born April/May/June 1928, Holywell, Wales (mother Jones)
– Marian Jones born April/May/June 1928, Tynemouth (mother Crawford)
My money is on the Pontypridd record due to the subtleties in the spelling of her name. It is clearly spelt Marion on the back of the photographs even though her death entry seems to spell it as Marian.
I thought back to something that Edward Poole had mentioned during our recent correspondance about the Jones and Scourfield families. He mentioned that a Marion Jones had written to his mother telling her of the death of her mother Agnes Jones aged 94 and 10 months in June 1989 thefore making her born in August 1894. This seemed to fit as Mary had mentioned on the phone last week that Marion’s mother was “Angy”.
– Agnes Louise Jones died April/May/June 1989, Sutton, Surrey (born 14th August 1894)
Now let’s find James Melbourne Jones and see if we can find a marriage entry for him and Agnes.
– James Melbourne Jones born April/May/June 1880, Pembroke, Wales
This means that James would have been 48 when Marion was born and Agnes would have been 33. A marriage is likely to have occurred between 1910 and 1927.
– James Jones married Agnes Thomas Jan/Feb/March 1918, Llanelly, Wales
– James Jones married Agnes Davies July/Aug/Sept 1919, Bedwelty, Wales
– James Jones married Agnes Moran Oct/Nov/Dec 1922, Wirral
– James Jones married Agnes Simmons April/May/June 1924, Barton Upon Irwell, Lancashire
– James Jones married Agnes Hill Jan/Feb/March 1926, Prescot, Lancashire
None of the locations or maiden names for Agnes seem to match any of the birth records for Marion/Marian Jones. There is a possibility that Agnes had a previous marriage and that her marriage to James uses her earlier married name as opposed to her maiden name.
Now I’m completely stuck. I can’t find James Jones on the 1911 census. Where to go from here?